Monday, April 19, 2010

"I need coffee . . . STAT!"

There are some perks to working for a hospital - one is the rate at which you increase your medical lingo. I have gone from using vague, prosaic words to describe medical maladies to actually know what things like "hypertrophic cardiomyopathy," or "hematoma," or "Moyamoya syndrome" are.

My current favorite jargon choice is "stat." I mean, really . . . does it get any simpler?

After a lazy day yesterday, I don't think I was quite ready to settle in for the night when I went to bed around midnight. I try to be in bed, preferably asleep by 11:00-11:30. That allows me a comfortable amount of sleep so I'm not super tired the next day. Only last night, I guess my body and brain thought, "Hmmm, well, she hasn't done much at all today, so we need to make sure she's productive . . . now." It seemed to take hours to fall asleep. I was still having issues long after 1:00, I'd wager.

Drinking Red Bull on the way in to work this morning and all I can do is wish I could take coffee intravenously (oh yeah, that's a hospital word, baby). ;o) I really wouldn't even mind if it stopped my heart at this point . . . Something tells me that would wake me up for sure.

1 comment:

Robyn said...

Intravenous coffeee...Rache Ray has been trying to keep that addiction secret for years!

Hope you get to sleep early enough tonight to recover. :)