Saturday, January 30, 2010

Yuuuuuuuum!

Being a vegetarian has it's challenges and it's perks. One of the biggest perks is the increased dependence on your own creativity in the kitchen sometimes.

Recently, everyone in my office took a personality test to see where our character strengths are. My top trait was creativity - which I'm pleased to see.

Last night, I looked in the fridge for something to eat. Sitting on the shelf was a two-pack of tofu. With my tofu and some new finds from Whole Foods, I tapped into that creativity I supposedly have and voila! A hereby nameless, but nevertheless tasty dish:

{in the pan -- please pardon my turmeric-stained spoon}

So here are the ingredients and directions if it looks at all appetizing . . .
1 half-pack of extra firm tofu (about 5 ounces)
1 green onion, chopped
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
about 2 Tbsp olive oil
red pepper flakes (to taste)
cayenne pepper (to taste)
juice of 1/2 lemon
about 2 Tbsp soy sauce
about 2 Tbsp white vinegar
2 ounces (dry) capellini (angel hair)

First, I cubed the tofu and put it in the pan with the olive oil. While I was frying the tofu, I boiled angel hair pasta. In the pan, I threw the chopped green onion and cilantro and seasoned with the red chili pepper flakes and sprinkled with cayenne. I drizzled the vinegar and soy sauce over it then covered and let it simmer for a bit while I strained the pasta. After this, I stirred the pasta into the pan, tossing it with the tofu. I let it fry in the pan with the cover off (to let the noodles crisp just a bit). After a few minutes, I sprinkled with some more soy sauce, vinegar, chili pepper flakes and cayenne. All in all, I think this took maybe 20 minutes.

{all finished - just wishing I photographed food better}

Mmmmm!!! There was some good heat, good flavor and texture to it. I'll definitely be recreating this one.

But what to name it????

No comments: